Tuesday, April 28, 2015


Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard


This is a newly published YA book but is already very popular. I've heard good and bad things about it, but mainly good. It was on my to-read list before it even released and I picked it up soon after it was. The average rating on GoodReads is currently 4.15 stars. I gave it 4.

This was very well written, but that's no surprise from someone who went to college for screenwriting. I like the idea of the story, it's original; status depending on the color of your blood. 

Silver-blood = Royal/noble, has super powers.

Red-blood = Lowly/peasant, powerless.

I really like the main protagonist, Mare Barrow. She's real in personality, and doesn't let royal status alter herself or her idea on the world. Her relationships are built, not instant. She keeps to her own ways, even when it seems impossible to do so. She's strong and finds out how to get through difficult situations.

As you may have heard, there is a twist at the end. Some people expect it, some don't. I kind of did, but more towards the end.

I really did like it, and the end makes leaves you begging for more. You really feel for the characters and want to hug them and bake them cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment