Friday, July 24, 2015


The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden by Jessica Sorensen

4/5 stars

I don't know why, but I'm actually surprised that I enjoyed this book. Though I know one reason is because of the abuse cases in this book aren't romanticizedjust the connection that Callie and Kayden share are the hard experiences they're dealt with in their lives. As a trigger warning: there is physical abuse from a parent and rape/child rape mentioned in this book

About the only thing I didn't like about this book was the "I never noticed you before, but now I do" cliche; but to be fair, I generally don't like that in stories. Although, it is not overdone, which is wonderful!

I really love Kayden, he isn't made out to be absolutely perfect like so many men in books. He has problems, and again, those problems aren't romanticized. As with Callie's past. They're there for each other. They don't run away from their mental challenges anymore, they've accepted them, which is a common case for long-time sufferers of such things. Depression, anxiety, triggering. Sorensen does pretty well at hitting these parts of a bad past/present. And she doesn't make it seem like said actions make a person bad. 

There is a killer for me; grammatical errors. I'm a fast reader, so I generally don't notice too many minor grammatical errors, but there was one that the editor must have missed. The use of 'your' instead of the proper "you're". I was ready to pull my hair out, the grammar nazi that I am. Sorensen may need to find a new editor. 

All-in-all, this was a pretty good book. Not one of the best ever, but worth the read. The ending tortured me and I really can't wait to get my hands on the next one!




No comments:

Post a Comment