Tuesday, April 28, 2015


Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas



I passed this book on the shelves of bookstores multiple times and was very hesitant in buying and reading it. I read the synopsis a few times and put it back because it sounded so cliche to me.

Boy, was I wrong.



This book, along with the following books in the series, is my favorite of all time. Maas does an excellent job of writing and creating a story-line and characters. If you are looking to avoid a Mary Sue type protagonist, you don't have to look any more; Throne of Glass's female protagonist is anything but a Mary Sue, which I think is so hard to find in books nowadays. Each character has a different personality that isn't too perfect or too imperfect and everyone fits into the story in some way or another; there are no characters that just sit there and make you wonder why they're there. The story in this book is well thought out and isn't too slow or fast, as some books are; it keeps you wanting more, and finishing it is just torturous. 



This book, as well as its following books, are quite accepting and has proper equality while addressing the obvious problems [such as sexism] that occur in every day life.



Celaena herself is a strong female character, but not disbelievingly strong; she has her faults and weaknesses and accepts them while embracing them. She basically spits in misogyny's face.



I rarely ever give a book a full 5 stars, at most I usually give 4, 3 stars being my usual rating, just because I am so picky about the books I read, so it's hard to impress me. Throne of Glass has just blown me away and I have no idea how Maas managed it, but she did. She's a genius in writing! Young or old, I highly recommend this book [though, maybe not to little kids, ha ha]. You will not be disappointed, and if you are, you may want to go to a book doctor. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment